Finally, after about a year and a half of working on it a little, and looking at it a lot, I finally felt it was time to take my weaving off the loom and mount it.
I had an idea how it was going to be mounted but it was all trial and error as I started on the process. I had saved a wonderful rustic pallet from a shipment of fabric and decided to use it as the background for my artwork. The catch was that I wanted some color on it and was not sure how to make that happen. I figured it out and am thrilled with the potential for other projects.
I took Dye-na-flow, which I have in the studio, and painted the raw wood. I started with bright Orange, Golden Yellow and Turquoise. The real use of this wonderful product is to use it on fabric. As a paint for fabric, it is as close to dye as I have found. On the wood, it just soaked right in with vibrant colors.
It was a little brighter than I wanted so I took a little Burnt Umber and Bronze and mixed them together as a wash to tone down the colors.
The weaving itself is so much fun because there are so many mediums involved in the process. I not only did some regular weaving, I did some felting, used dyed cheesecloth, used handmade papers that started the whole weaving design (thanks Kat Allison!), used my old macrame skills, and made fabric beads. The final touches that I found so much fun were the fire torched enamel beads and rings that I had previously made.
I am ready to start another one... the loom looks so empty!
I also finished two other UFO's this past week and started on a third. One was a Hobo Jane bag that was sold at the Delray Affair show. The customer wanted to have a cross body strap put on the bag so that when she filled the bag it would be easier to carry on her travels. It felt so good to get that finished and shipped out.